Tuesday 1 November 2011

Nicely does it...

Since I've known (although hardly anyone else does) that I'll be taking over the management of academic staff here next year, I've found myself smiling more and saying hi to people on the stairs and in corridors that previously I might have just nodded at. This isn't just the people I'll be managing directly, it pervades to everyone from technicians, students, secretarial support and postdocs. Maybe it's because we had a previous head of department several years ago who never said hi to anyone (in fact there were various competitions running to see what we had to do to get him to acknowledge us on the stairs), but that didn't occur to me until I thought about it just now. I guess I also feel like people will officially be looking to me as a leader so I should foster the attitudes I would like others to have...

Of course I could be coming across as a suspicious grinning maniac.

No comments:

Post a Comment